Working at the Port of Tacoma
We seek energetic, motivated and committed individuals to join our team. As one of the region's economic engines, we play a vital role in creating and sustaining sound economic development for Pierce County and Washington state.
A dynamic and exciting place to work, we are committed to employee development, providing a rewarding work environment and creating opportunities for growth.
We work to create and maintain an inclusive, equitable, and respectful workplace. We are an equal opportunity employer, and we do not discriminate in employment opportunity or in any of our programs or activities on the basis of race, color, sex, gender expression or identity, marital status, pregnancy status, sexual orientation, genetics, political ideology, age, creed, veteran or military status, citizenship or immigration status, religion, ancestry, national origin, disability, or any other factor or characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law.
Persons with disabilities who need special accommodations for the application process, or non-English speaking candidates who need translation services should contact the Human Resources department at 253-383-5841 or email@example.com. Questions? Send us an email.
How do I apply for an internship
Internship opportunities vary each year and are offered with a variety of departments. Most internships are full-time during the summer. Occasionally, we offer internships during the academic year on a part-time basis.
Students apply classroom learning in a real work setting to perform normal work activities and/or special projects, and gain access to the knowledge and expertise of Port staff.
To be eligible to participate, candidates must be enrolled in an accredited school, college or university. Students will be considered based on their qualifications and course of study. All internships are paid at an hourly rate:
- Undergraduate student: $15/hour
- Graduate student: $18/hour
Internship Opportunities are posted each Spring for Summer employment.
To apply for available internships, Click Here.
How do I apply for a job at the Port of Tacoma?
To apply for a current job opening, log on to the Port's online application system. You will be able to upload your resume, cover letter and references during this process.
An online application MUST be submitted to be considered for employment with the Port. Hard copy applications and resumes are no longer accepted.
I've never used the Port's online application system. How do I get started?
When you access the system for the first time, you will need to create a username and password. This allows you to access the system to securely enter personal information, upload a resume and complete the job application. Once you create an account, your information will be saved for future use.
Can you give me any tips for applying for a position?
- Applications will be evaluated for open positions only.
- Incomplete applications may have an effect on their consideration.
- Applications must be submitted by the advertised closing date.
- Resumes will not be accepted in lieu of a completed application.
I submitted my application. What's next?
You may view your submitted job application, update your profile information and confirm jobs applied for by returning to the online application.
Please note the following when considering employment with the Port:
- Due to the high volume of applications received, the Port does not send out correspondence about an individual's application status.
- The most desirable candidates will be contacted by the Port directly to participate in the interview process.
- In compliance with the Immigration Reform and Control Act, all job offers are contingent on providing acceptable proof of eligibility to legally work in the U.S.
- Job offers are contingent upon evaluation and approval of data received via the background check, the post-employment drug screening and meeting the position requirements.
I need help, who do I contact?
If you have problems accessing the system, contact us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.